>

Thursday, January 13, 2011


I am by no means a decorator. In fact, my inability to pick out furniture, accessories and such has left my house with bare walls for the last 5 years. I lack the confidence and security to see something in a store, and know absolutely that it will look great in my home. My sisters don't have this problem and their homes are very well decorated. For me, decor has to be personal. There has to be an emotional attachment or something that pulls a switch within me for me to go forward and spend the money. (Because I'm: 1. cheap 2. I don't return stuff. 3. would rather spend the $ on scrapbooking stuff) It has to be something I love. Which brings me to today's picture and my first challenge!


It's been almost a year now that I first spotted this piece of wall art, but I wasn't in the market for it, so didn't buy it. I'd pop in every now & then to see if it was still there, but w/ all our expenses & my not working, I couldn't justify the purchase. However, Nov. & Dec. were very good months for my little scrapbooking business, so I finally had some money of my own to do more than just visit.
This piece just resonates w/ me on so many levels - as a former English teacher I love words & the way they can affect me. It starts & ends with "You are my sunshine" - the song I sing to my little boy every night before I kiss & hug him goodnight. I also am affected by SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, which is basically seasonal depression. It sets in around November & hangs around until March or April, & is triggered by - you guessed it - the lack of sunshine! So to have something that reminds me to always think about sunshine even if I can't see it, is important.

4 comments:

  1. I am a new follower. Found you on a Blog Frog linky. I can totally relate to your decorating challenges. I too have the same challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a great piece! Very sunshiny! I don't think that is really a word, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that piece! So simple, but beautiful! And it's so cute that it has the words of the song you sing to your son!

    And even more great that it helps you over your depression! I have bipolar, so I get depressed every now and then, and I try to find ways to get over it. If it helps, it must be really meaningful to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo glad you were able to get this piece and sooo happy it brings you the sunshine you need!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete